Why Mosquitoes?

A picture of me inspecting the contents of the light trap net.

    Hello, I am David Piccirilli, a biology student at UVM, class of 2025. I took the internship opportunity with the Cape Cod Mosquito Control Project (CCMCP) because I wanted to learn more about mosquitoes and vector /disease ecology. Also a bonus, I love being outside and enjoying the summertime in Cape Cod, MA. I am excited to learn about mosquito trapping techniques as well as test my knowledge of mosquito identification. Mosquitoes are a vital factor when considering human public health and ecosystem health. Mosquitoes are responsible for transmitting many diseases to birds and mammals. CCMCP is focused on the spread of Eastern Equine Encephalitis, West Nile virus, and Jamestown Canyon virus. Our organization aims to understand the species diversity of mosquitoes in Cape Cod and participate in ongoing research of the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources related to mosquito disease testing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hatching mosquito eggs and larval identification

Setting ovitraps