Setting ovitraps

7/12/24: 

This week I went to some new mosquito trapping locations to setup ovitrap cups. The cups are used to collect mosquito eggs for hatching and identification purposes. The trap is made of a wooden tray that holds the cup containing a mixture of water and stinky water (fermented hay water) as well as a curled piece of seed germination paper. I will collect the mosquito eggs after a week. I will remove the seed germination paper the mosquito eggs will cling to. Then I will take them back to the lab in order to hatch the larva for identification. I am looking for Ohlerotatus japonicus, Oc. triseriatus and Aedes albopictus since these are the species that like the ovipositional environment of a small water pool in an artificial container. Another special thing about these mosquitoes is that each species only lays one egg at a time, unlike some other species like Culex pipiens which lays 100-200 individuals in an egg raft cluster. 

The ovitrap materials and a set up ovitrap near my boots

A close up picture of the ovitrap setup

7/19/24:

Today I went back to the ovitrap locations to pick up the eggs that have been laid in the past week. When I got to the first trap location in Sandwich I had to prepare the new water and seed germination paper to continue collecting eggs for the next week. Luckily the ovitraps were still in the same locations I had placed them since my coworkers had warned me that many cups had gone missing due to wildlife and humans who were very curious in the mosquito egg traps.  I pulled out the paper and I held it close to my face to inspect the eggs that I could see with my naked eye. I struggled a lot with finding the eggs because they were not very visible without a microscope. I packed the paper into a small collection box layered with damp paper towels to keep the eggs moist while I collected the other traps during the day. Once I was done with my route I got back to the lab and immediately took out the papers so the eggs would dry out over the weekend. Once the papers are dry I can count and cut out the eggs for incubation. 

7/22/24: 

The seed germination paper is dry and the eggs are ready to be counted. I sat at the microscope for a few hours looking carefully at each piece of paper to count the number of eggs, so I could compare my data to the number of larvae that hatch from the eggs in the next few days. while counting the eggs I used a pencil to circle the eggs so I could cut out the eggs and arrange them in a cup of water for incubation. Now the eggs are being incubated in the incubation cabinet. Once the mosquitoes have hatched I will wait until they are 2nd or 3rd instar larvae so I can identify them. 


The cut of pieces of seed germination paper with the mosquito eggs
Cool picture of the birch polypore mushroom that I saw when I was setting up the ovitraps in Sandwich, MA. The shelf fungi were very tough and looked as if they had been there for many months. 

Also a picture of a tick, I don't know a lot about ticks but if someone would like to help me out that would be great! I had looked it up in the Seek app (iNaturalist) and it says American dog tick possibly. 


Field ecologist in training 

David





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Mosquitoes?

Hatching mosquito eggs and larval identification