Mosquito eggs: Collecting egg rafts for pesticide resistance testing

 


Friday June 28, 2024

I had set up buckets of stinky water to attract mosquitoes to lay their eggs the day before. Then I came back the next day and to my surprise, the buckets were full of mosquito egg rafts. I was very excited! Each egg raft contains anywhere from 100 - 400 individual mosquito eggs. Once I had collected enough egg rafts to fill the centrifuge tubes I headed back to the lab. In the controlled lab environment, I opened the caps of the tubes and allowed the mosquitoes to hatch over the weekend. When I came back to work the following week the mosquitoes had hatched into their larval stage and were ready to be shipped for pesticide resistance testing. 

            A bucket full of mosquito egg rafts (200+) 

I am scooping the egg rafts out of the bucket (the little black triangle is one egg raft). 
A picture of me labeling the tubes for the egg raft collection. Now they are ready for pesticide resistance testing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Mosquitoes?

Hatching mosquito eggs and larval identification

Setting ovitraps