Mosquito identification: Honing my skills

A photo of me looking at mosquitoes in the microscope.

When I am not out in the field setting and retrieving traps I practice my skills of mosquito identification. 
The mosquito nets from the light traps and gravid traps must be frozen to kill the mosquitoes before I can view them. Once the mosquitoes are ready I utilize the Identification Guide to the Mosquitoes of Connecticut to help identify to the species level. I am starting to get faster at identifying the mosquitoes that I am given by Aubrey (the entomologist). She has been helping me along the way, so I know that I can get better at identifying adult mosquitoes.  

P. S. I passed my state pesticide applicator license test!

David

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Mosquitoes?

Hatching mosquito eggs and larval identification

Setting ovitraps